Friday, December 16, 2011

Elephants Fighting

Hello once again. I haven't finished my new blog as yet, but witnessed a remarkable sight of elephant behavior the other day at Kruger Nat'l Park and just couldn't wait to share it with you. Here's what happened:

First I saw these two elephants coming out of the bush...


...and they came together and greeted each other

They were having what seemed to be a pleasant time together...even walked down to the waterhole together for a drink and a quick mudbath...

and by the time they were done they were covered in mud

...then for some reason (I think one of them might have said something to the other about his mother)...they started pushing against each other

...and then they squared-off
 
...until it was all out combat
 
I watched these two bulls fighting for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden this third bull showed up...

...and he too joined in the fight. They fought their way across the road (the car gives you a perspective of how large they are). The three bulls fought for another five minutes

...until the larger bull started fighting one of the smaller bulls (and the second smaller bull stopped fighting and watched)

...and then the larger bull turned around and started fighting the first bull

The fighting went on for another 10-15 minutes (the larger bull fighting each of the other two bulls...and then the other two bulls fighting each other)...until finally they just stopped fighting...turned in different directions...and walked off.  (See the bird by the elephant's foot? He was quick to get out of the way of two fighting elephants.)

I had never seen such a display.  I'm sure that you can image how many images I must have took if I watched this fight for 25 minutes-or-so...and this is one of the reasons as to why I enjoy coming to Africa.  I'm hoping to have my new blog out by Sunday...so watch for it...I've got some nice lion images.  I'm wishing you all well.  Out...John. 

3 comments:

  1. John, amazing photos as always! Thank you so much for sharing them. I can't wait to show them to Regan. She is busy this weekend performing in the "Nutcracker". Can't wait for more photos! Stay safe out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again outstanding pictures and an amazing sequence of events. Stay safe and watch out for unhappy elephants.

    ReplyDelete